Monday, April 16, 2012

A Vegetarian Lost in Bavaria

Those who have travelled with me in the past know that I can be particularly challenging in the food department.  Besides being allergic to nuts, I am also a vegetarian.  So what am I eating here in meat-heavy Bavaria, where English menus are far and few between and my German food vocabulary is basically limited to the words kartoffel (potato, I think) and brez'n (pretzel)?


Shaun, Daphne, and Janela may be wondering - am I only eating Tucs?  (These crackers were a staple on my previous trips to Tunisia with my brother and to China with Daphne and Janela).  Paprika-flavoured Tucs are indeed available:



But unfortunately for the sales numbers of the Tucs cracker company, I have a new Bavarian travel staple: the bretz'n.

It started with a pre-Euro pretzel at Boundary Bay Brewing in Bellingham, on the way to SeaTac:




Pretzels since then have included this gigantic pretzel for lunch at a local monastery (bread and liquid bread!):




And this pretzel, which didn't survive the picnic we had in our room tonight (we would have loved to picnic outside in the Englischgarten but it is raining and about 5 degrees and windy here, so we were stuck inside):



In all seriousness, though, it hasn't been that hard to find vegetarian food here (even if it is mostly cream based) and, aside from the pastries, there aren't a lot of nuts.  Most menus even have a vegetarian section (though it's usually in German).  Even more exciting ( this is for you, Shelby), I have found a new love to replace my old favourite mac + cheese.  It's spaetzle and cheese, topped with deep fried onions and it's amazing.  Come to Bavaria to try it!





No comments:

Post a Comment