Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Travelling While Ill


It sucks.

I got the first tinglings of a sore throat while I was still packing up our house April 1.  I was largely able to ignore it, as it wasn't too bad.  It lingered and lingered, and got a bit worse each day.  Then finally, after our day in Mittenwald, it suddenly felt like I had a cheese grater lodged in my throat while I was drowning in my own phlegm.  Worst head cold ever.  And it simply would not go away.  It's now April 24, and I've been a bit better for the past day and a half, but I probably need a couple of more days to mend.

Among the drawbacks:

  • Europeans still smoke a lot, and even the barest hint of smoke causes pain in the throat.
  • Generally no way to get hot water in one's room in Germany for NeoCitran or hot tea.
  • Focused too much on one's self/health and not enough on the travel experience.
  • Related: feel obligated to continue sightseeing/travelling, instead of wasting (expensive, European) days focusing entirely on recuperation.
Additional drawback: no desire to or ability to drink local beer or eat anything interesting - and no sense of smell to enjoy such things anyway.

It was certainly lucky we were able to stay with Jason and Anna for a few days while my cold was at its worst.  Fingers crossed that's the last sickness for a while!

1 comment:

  1. Go to a pharmacy. Ask for sylvia pastels, they are made by Welada. They should have them at any pharm in Europe. They are natural , an really help. Hope you feel better!!

    ReplyDelete