Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mt Tongariro with Sarah

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is rated as New Zealand's top day hike, and we were excited to get up there.  The only catch is that it's not technically a 'crossing' right now.  Because of volcanic activity at one end, it's currently an out and back trail that turns around at the maximum height of the trail.  One of the most impressive sights is Mt. Ngauruhoe, which Peter Jackson used as the basis for Mt. Doom in The Lord of the Rings movies.

Chad was set on climbing Mt. Ngauruhoe if possible in his crappy shoes.  Plus he is a faster hiker than me at the best of times.  So we decided to do the hike separately, since we were going different directions.  A shuttle bus picked us up at 7:10 am, and we were at the base of the trail by 7:45.  It was a gorgeous summer day - and Mt. Ngauruhoe sat there waiting for Chad!  He was off and I started making my way up the trail.


The first 5 km is an easy trail gently leading you up a volcanic valley.  Lulling you into a false sense of how easy the hike would be, some would say...


The alpine flowers look almost prehistoric.


After the first five km you come to this sign, which sits at the bottom of a long series of staircases and uphill paths.  False sense of security?  Gone.  I was one of the few people to actually stop and read it, and when I got to question three seriously considered whether I was fit enough!  But of course continued on.


Looking back down at the valley from the top of one of the staircases.

Volcanic rock as far as the eye can see.

If you zoom in far enough, you might be able to see Chad.

After much uphill, you come to a plateau, actually the inside of the main Tongariro crater, and walk for quite a while on a blissfully flat path.  I was loving the landscape up there!




Of course, that was followed by more uphill until you reached a viewpoint and could see this over the other side.  Awesome!


More uphill and... the red crater!  One of my favourite sights of the day - the red crater with a volcanic tube.


Looking back in the direction from which I came.


The peak of the crossing is a view of the Emerald Lakes, which you can see in the photo below.  The photo was taken after I lost my footing on the slippery gravel in my stupid 'hiking' shoes and went crashing down on my right side.  Despite the fact there were so many people up there, no one stopped to ask if I was okay as I sat wiping up my blood with a wet wipe.  I'm guessing they were letting me keep my dignity!

Steam escapes the earth near the Emerald Lakes


Um, yeah - when the path is steaming, that's usually bad news.  But not a deterrent up here!

A bit battered, but victorious - the peak is mine!

It is also possible to climb to the peak of Mt. Tongariro.  I went about half way up the path and looked back at Mt. Ngauruhoe, wondering how Chad was faring.


Is he up there somewhere?

Looking back at the Emerald Lakes from the Mt. Tongariro summit trail.


On the way back down I was feeling great - I had made it to the top and had an awesome day up there.  I was a bit hot, as the trail is totally exposed, but not hot enough to take a dip in Soda Springs like some of the other hikers!


They advise you to carry in all your water and not drink from the stream along the trail.  No kidding!

Quite green at the bottom of the mountain.

Back at the bottom, inspecting my wounds.  I am also lucky enough to have a big bruise on my hip to make our 14 hour flight on Friday super comfortable :).


This hike was amazing - stunning views, not too difficult, and pretty easily accessible.  Highly recommended if you make it to New Zealand!  My only tip?  Bring boots - it's doable in shoes, but would definitely be better with proper gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment