Saturday, October 13, 2012

Too Many Decades

In early October I turned 40.  Ouch.  My 30s were pretty good, but 40 is solidly in "The Man" territory. Oh well, nothing to be done about it - just keep feeling young & try not to get too curmudgeonly.

This birthday was grand.  Starting with yet another cloudless Vancouver day, Sarah and I played an early morning round of pitch'n'putt golf at the Rupert course.

Teeing off on #1...

...and a birdie on #1!  40 is off to a good start

Sarah lining up a drive

Next, Sarah took me on a convoluted trip out to Chester's place (of Serious Beer and Re-Up BBQ fame) for my birthday present - a smoker!  Fantastic, I've wanted to get into smoking meat for a while now, and will get right on it after our travel year.  (Thanks to Chester for the good deal.)

I love smokers

Next was lunch at Two Chefs and a Table in Gastown, with a quick look at Vancouver Urban Winery just down the street (they supply draught Okanagan wine to local restaurants, and have a cool tasting/gathering space).

Lunch at Two Chefs and a Table


I haven't had many big, festive birthday parties, but since this was a bit of a milestone I invited several people to join me at a pub downtown.  Trying to reserve a place for 20+ people on a Friday night in Vancouver is a big challenge for someone like me who doesn't want to shell out a minimum bill of $1500 + 12% tax + 18% tip (which is what one craft beer pub wanted).  Fortunately, Tap & Barrel at the Olympic Village on False Creek accommodated everyone, supplying good BC beer and food, and great service on the last "patio weekend" of the year.  Plus, much to my relief more than just Sarah and I showed up!  It was wonderful to visit with so many friends, including many I had not seen in ages.


In front of our temporary home in East Van, heading out

Sarah dressed to party (complete with travel sandals)

Chad, mostly failing to look younger than his years

Meaghan, as always, is the cutest one at the party

Lawyer/Engineer table

Brewer/Power Squadron table

Thanks so much to everyone who made it out, it really made my day/year.  A couple of gift glasses of nice bourbon at the end of the night & very quickly it was time to leave.  Though I managed to remain upright all evening (unlike a bourbonless Sarah, who fell very hard on her posterior - twice - and ended up with an 8 inch bruise on her rear end.  I guess the young ones aren't so smart after all...).

We popped up to the interior just before leaving on the next leg of our trip, so I got to have a homemade birthday/Thanksgiving/Halloween/Christmas meal, too!

Dinner at Mom's

Mom's signature plum pudding (birthday edition), made with plums from my brother's tree

No comments:

Post a Comment