Monday, September 24, 2012

Forks and Twilight

As mentioned previously, Sarah and I don't know much about the Twilight teen vampire books and movies.  And while normally I would learn about a subject for myself before passing judgement on it or making fun of it, I'm going to make an exception for Twilight.  :-)

Twilight is set in the tiny logging town of Forks, in the NW Olympic Peninsula.  Forks is a half-dead industry village, and Twilight pilgrimages and tours appear to be BY FAR their biggest industry now.  Those books and movies are clearly saving the place - Twilight nerds from everywhere were in abundance.  There was even a banner over the highway announcing the yearly civic celebration dedicated to the Twilight author.  Hotels advertised that certain Twlight characters had stayed there.  Firewood bundles were named after Twilight characters.  The bandwagon was full.

Apparently this school figures prominently in Twilight.  Yay.

I thought adopting my best vampire impression would get me into a more Twilight kind of mood.  It didn't.

OK, Twilight nerds, are you ready?  Sarah and I drove past - wait for it - BELLA'S HOUSE!  (Excited screams ensue.)  Sigh.

Bella's house from the movies.  I guess.  At least, that's what the pamphlets and maps say.

There's a huge tour business in town, busing star-struck teenagers and middle-aged  vampire-lite wannabees to various movie landmarks.  Get it while you can, Forks!

Sarah and I didn't spend long in Forks, since the only things of interest there are Twilight-related.  We headed to nearby Rialto Beach on the coast.  To get there, you go through an Indian reservation, which was awesome and hilarious:

Vampires are required to stay in Forks - the locals are (tongue-in-cheek) are not into it.

On a cafe wall just inside the reservation.  Sweet.


And on your return trip, when leaving the reservation:


Twilight nerds, please apply your vampire makeup and re-insert your plastic vampire teeth.
 Hmm, maybe I should see one of these movies, or read one of the books, just to see what all the fuss is about...

...or, maybe not.  I don't think I'm cut out for the Twilight army.

No comments:

Post a Comment